Bed bugs are one of the most annoying pests that refuse to go. You can easily identify a bed bug. They are usually small and brown colored bugs and have an oval shaped body. Getting rid of a bed bug infestation is not that easy. However, there are ways to control them.
Few steps to control bed bugs
1. First, determine the sites of possible infestation. Identifying the site is important because bed bugs spread rapidly. You can look for them in sofas and beds. The sooner you find them, the easier it is for you control them.
2. Once you have determined the source of infestation, its time to treat them. Throwing away the infested item is not a solution. If your mattress is infested with bed bugs, clean it with a vacuum cleaner. Take your vacuum cleaner out and discard the bag. You can buy bed bug-proof encasement for covering your mattress. This will save it from further infestation.
3. Wash your bed linens and sofa covers often. Use hot water for cleaning. The high temperature kills the pest and ensures that your bed linens and sofa covers are bug free.
4. You can also isolate the infested mattress or sofa to a separate room. Usually, bed bugs feed on your blood. Isolating the infested material for several days will mean that they don’t have any access to food. They will starve to death. Afterwards, you can use your vacuum cleaner to clean the infested item. You can also cover the mattress using a cover. This ensures that the bed bugs do not spread. Once they are dead, you can easily clean the mattress cover.
5. If you have pets in your home, make sure you clean their bedding and soft toys (if any). Your pets are susceptible to bed bugs and can spread them throughout your home.
6. Use insecticides to treat bed bugs. You can take professional help in this regard. Call a professional pest control agency (like us) once you have identified any possible infestation.
7. Steam treatment is also beneficial for controlling bed bugs. You can use a commercial steamer. While using a steamer, keep the surface temperature between 160-170°F.
We hope that these steps will help you to control the spread of bed bugs. If you are interested in doing pest control for bed bugs, then why don’t you get in touch with us? Call us today at 416-410-2786 to book an appointment.